Has anyone else noticed that there have been a lot of articles in recently (like this afternoon) on this whole crazy idea that people (even women!) have complicated feelings about parenting? Here’s a sampling:
- Today, from Jezebel: When Motherhood Never Happens (Two words: Cameron.Diaz.)
- Yesterday, in Role/Reboot: I’m Happily Child Free
- April 27th, in the Huffington Post: I’ll Take My Eggs Over, Please! A Woman’s Confession About Children
- April 26th, at the Forward’s Sisterhood Blog, by me: Yes, Katie Rophie, Childlessness is Still a Taboo
- April 25th, in Double X at Slate.com: Do We Secretly Envy the Childfree?
- There’s also a New Yorker article that I read in a waiting room with a piece in it that I now can’t. If you know what I’m talking about, let me know.
What do we think is going on here? Is this just a notion being exoticized? (“Let’s go outside and look at the bears, and also the childfree women?”) Are people’s brains slowly creaking open to the idea that the childfree might not be selfish, evil, selfishly evil and pathological? What say you all?